PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock 246 Open

Stripstrike1
02-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Shamrock 246 Open year model 2000. The boat is in great shape. Any major problems with this rig. I generally fish offshore (Gulf Coast) around 50 to 60 miles offshore. I really like the clean lines of the boat and the economy of an inboard. I have never owned inboard power so this is really new to me. PLEASE HELP. I don't want to make a hasty decision. One of my big concerns is that the boat has a very wet ride. The owner of the boat did mention that to me.

Bzfishn
02-26-2005, 04:48 PM
I have an 2003 246 Open for sale in the boats for sale section on this site.
Don't know what your price range is, but it never hurts to investigate other options. It can be wet in certain conditions, but the CC gives you lots a deck are to fish from. Mine has both a helm and a full t-top cutain out to and down the gunnels to keep you dry. Curtain set-up was $3k alone. Check it out!!

http://www.fishtheclassic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4890&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

MC
02-26-2005, 06:10 PM
when I was first looking at Shamrock I went on a few 246 open's and was quite please. Several of the owners used them everyweekend and would not hestitate taking them far off shore for day.

Every boat is wet, given the conditions, but these boats in general spit up some spray. Spray Rails and proper trim tab settings seem to help a lot. I'm sure over the next few days several 246 owners will post with their comments.

The overall layout of the 246 is great for fishing. I also liked the ability to put in a table in the front for our "Wine and Cheese/Booze Crusies" we have. If it was not for me finding a 260 Stalker a few years ago, I'd be a proud owner of this modle boat.

If you have any ability of mechanics, you can take care of most of the issues that come with owning a boat. The long term cost associated with these boats is a fraction of their outboard counterparts.

Seach this website until your hearts content and you will hear the good, bad and even ungly about these boats. (most of it is good by the way).

-Mike

P.S.
"Miss Trish" is once nicely equipped boat.

Stripstrike1
02-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Thank You for the quick replies. The info helps me alot. Miss Trish is a fine boat. The 246 that I am looking at is similiar but with less options. Alot of people on this site talk about spray rails and that might be an option. How much range on the 110 gallons of fuel? I failed to mention that in my first post.

Wade....

Bzfishn
02-26-2005, 08:46 PM
First, thanks MC for your input and I appraciate the compliment to the 'Miss Trish'.

Wade, with the Crusader 5.7 MPI I ususally run at 3200rpm, in 2-3ft conditions, I see about 21-22 knots, and register a 12 gal/hr consumption. The avg. seems to be 1.8 - 2.0 miles per gallon. You can troll forever and consume very very little fuel.
Hope this helps.

- Art

Landlocked
02-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Stripstrike1:

I have the same rig you are looking at, a 2000 246 Open, RWC, 5.7 PMC
Sea Max. I too fish the Gulf Coast, mainly out of the PC/Destin area. A
50 - 60 mile gulf coast run run sounds like you're interested in blue water fishing or deep oil rigs. Never been that far out, but have been to the Muds which is about 40 miles offshore - had three foot seas - burned just under 60 gallons including some east to west trolling along grass lines on the way back in. The boat is a WET ride and most of the problem issues with this hull design are related to the wet ride - the electrical switches and connections on mine are starting to fail due to exposure related corrosion. The hull will handle some very rough water, excepting the lightning, the hull can handle most gulf coast coast squall lines we experience in the late evenings if you slow down and get the bow up. With a 2000 year boat (five years old) expect to replace the risers and manifolds right away, and then inspect the exhaust hoses and check the alternator belt and all water/fuel hoses for signs of failure. In the near future (next five years) you should expect to replace the entire exhaust system and the fuel tanks. Not sure how us pocket drive people are going to deal with the fuel tank issue, but it's coming down the tracks at us. I am thinking that I will wait until the first repower and then remove the tanks thru the engine compartment which will require cutting two bulkheads, one on each side of the engine to get at the tanks.
Take a ride in one on a rough day to make sure you like it before you buy it. The power plant and drive train are built like bricks and are probably the least of your concerns.
Good Luck!

Landlocked
2000 246 Open

Stripstrike1
02-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Thank you for the awesome info. This site helps a bunch. The boat I am looking at is hardly used. It only has 120 hours on it which could be a problem if it sat too much. I am going to go test it sometime this week. I don't have any mechanical skills so all of that stuff will have to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. I hope we aren't talking too much money if I buy the boat. Do the gas-tanks need replacing that fast? I would love to talk to you on the phone if possible. I can be reached at 713-823-5600. WADE

ree;action
02-27-2005, 04:46 PM
All the comments above are right on, including the wet ride - learn to use those trim tabs effectively and you'll cut down on the showers...it's only taken me four years, but I think I got the hang of it now. As for the riser, manifold issue, when I bought my boat the dealer and the mechanic I ended up using both told me how important it was for me to flush the motor after every use, which I do...does that add any life beyond the four/five year timeframe? I guess I'll answer my own question soon as I'm at the five year mark...On the gas tanks, wouldn't the deck cap just get pulled off? The reason I say that is I had to have a new hull put on in 2002. I went to the factory to visit while this was being done and saw my deck cap just sitting on the floor - the guy I was with said it was no big deal to pull the cap and put it back on. Now, I know that was at the plant but, if facilities were available at a reasonable price (maybe I'm crazy here) wouldn't that be a better alternative than cutting the boat to get at them? Just a thought...

Now, Strip, if you're wondering why a new hull had to be put on, take a close look for spider cracks, excess de lamination, chips in the bulkheads - get a look at the stringers if you can. And keep your ears open when you test her to see if she lands funny (not solid sounding)...I was told back in '02 that some of the 2000 246's had to come back (including mine) to the factory - they called them "sphagetti boats" ...Anyway, best of luck!

Barry