PDA

View Full Version : 4140 Mallory Distributor

17'shammy
04-25-2010, 03:46 PM
My 4140 has a Mallory distributor (YL694AV).
It is a points and condenser distributor.
Mallory makes a ‘Breakerless Coversion Kit’ (61008M) for this distributor.
I installed one in my Shammy.
No earth shattering change, but the engine is smoother throughout it’s RPM range; mostly I was after smoother operation at idle speeds.
An easy modification/improvement

Mattamuskeet
04-25-2010, 06:54 PM
I have thought about doing that but the points and condenser have never given me a problem so I hesitated to change anything. What did the kit cost?

How many other 4140 owners have gone electronic? What problems did you have before you did it?

Thanks,
Mattamuskeet

17'shammy
04-26-2010, 07:45 AM
I have thought about doing that but the points and condenser have never given me a problem so I hesitated to change anything. What did the kit cost?

How many other 4140 owners have gone electronic? What problems did you have before you did it?

Thanks,
Mattamuskeet

$53.40 StreetSideAuto Was $54 on Amazon but I see that they have gone up to $71, and they have the wrong picture, made me wonder/worry.

Mallory Tech Support first made the suggestion to me some time ago. I mulled it over for a year or more because I also liked the idea of 'original equipment' points and condenser.

Can't say that the points and condenser 'gave trouble' - just decided, in the end, to upgrade as part of an over-all tune up effort.

Very carefully set the timing so that the timing mark is just on the advance side of 5 degrees BTDC.

Carefully adjusted the Rochester 2 BBL.

Iridium plugs

She's about as well tuned as I can get her now.

Probably will replace the plug wires ...

Paul McTavish
04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I've never had a problem with points, but do like the idea of having electronic ign. I am going to look into it. I like the idea of the kit being made by the same company as the dist.

CaptDG
04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
I went with the Pertronix version and the epoxy filled coil. When I bought mine the advance parts were frozen and while I had it apart I did the upgrade.

17'shammy
04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
New rotor comes with the kit.
Got a new cap as well.

The advance is still centrifugal; I noticed that the springs on the weights were of unequal tension, and I smeared some grease around; not so sure that was a good idea; have an inquiry into Mallory.

Kurt
04-27-2010, 07:43 AM
The advance is still centrifugal; I noticed that the springs on the weights were of unequal tension, and I smeared some grease around; not so sure that was a good idea; have an inquiry into Mallory.
That's normal. The lighter spring controls the lower RPM range of the advance curve which kicks in fairly quickly. The heavier spring doesn't rake effect until later in the curve (usually has a longer hook on one end), flattens it out and limits the total advance.

Not so sure about the grease though (except the lightedt coating on the pivots), maybe a light oil or something like BoeShield T-9 would have been better.

17'shammy
04-27-2010, 03:45 PM
That's normal. The lighter spring controls the lower RPM range of the advance curve which kicks in fairly quickly. The heavier spring doesn't rake effect until later in the curve (usually has a longer hook on one end), flattens it out and limits the total advance.

Not so sure about the grease though (except the lightedt coating on the pivots), maybe a light oil or something like BoeShield T-9 would have been better.

Yup, right you are Kurt
Here's the response from Mallory:
"Reply from Rep:
Yes 2 different springs and one is loose for a 2 stage curve. No grease except on top of the shaft."

17'shammy
04-28-2010, 02:28 PM
OK
All that nasty grease is gone
Even took the centrifugal weights out and polished them up on a soft wire wheel
Couldn't bring myself to put it all back together completely dry, however, brushed on a light coat of light weight electric motor oil, just to stave away corrosion for a while, especially those little springs, they were once coated with some sort of yellow preservative, but that was about half gone.

Kurt
04-28-2010, 03:09 PM
When I R & R my distributor, I give things a light spray with BoeShield T-9 to keep the rust gremlins at bay and put a drop of engine oil on each weight pivot. I also put a couple drops of oil on the wick in the well under the rotor.

17'... I hope you noted which weight and which lug on the carrier the springs were attached to and put it back together the same way. If you didn't, you could have affected the calibration of the advance curve. It's not so important to get the weights back onto their original pivots as it is to connect the springs to their original lugs on the carrier.

The way they adjust the advance curve is to bend each lug to set the proper spring positions for curve start and total advance limit. So it matters that they go on the proper ones.

The good news is that there are only two possible spring positions. If you notice odd performance, like lowered WOT RPM or possible spark knock, under load, when you had none before, then the springs may be reversed. Just something to watch out for.

17'shammy
04-28-2010, 03:43 PM
When I R & R my distributor, I give things a light spray with BoeShield T-9 to keep the rust gremlins at bay and put a drop of engine oil on each weight pivot. I also put a couple drops of oil on the wick in the well under the rotor.

17'... I hope you noted which weight and which lug on the carrier the springs were attached to and put it back together the same way. If you didn't, you could have affected the calibration of the advance curve. It's not so important to get the weights back onto their original pivots as it is to connect the springs to their original lugs on the carrier.

The way they adjust the advance curve is to bend each lug to set the proper spring positions for curve start and total advance limit. So it matters that they go on the proper ones.

The good news is that there are only two possible spring positions. If you notice odd performance, like lowered WOT RPM or possible spark knock, under load, when you had none before, then the springs may be reversed. Just something to watch out for.

Good heads up
Oh yeah everything went back where it came from
I guessed that the weights are different, given that the springs are different
Nice and shiny and clean in there now
I'll have to put BoeShield T-9 on my shopping list