Thread: What's with PCM & Holley!?

Default What's with PCM & Holley!?

Since my carb is about 8 yrs old and the engine's been idle for ~2-1/2 years (except for being run on the trlr every 4-6 months) and Holley's website plain sucks anymore for marine carb part info, I thought I'd pick up a renew kit for the 4160 on my PCM 351, just in case, before any reference to carbs evaporated off into oblivion.

Carb list number(s) 75009; 1757 (stamped on port side front of air horn).

First looked at Disc. Inb. Marine for a listing on one of their kits (just for reference), no match to my list number(s).

Called Holley's tech line and they told me that those number(s) weren't for any carb in their database and asked me if I was sure that it was a Holley (duh! why does it have Holley cast into the fuel bowls :x ).

Tried calling PCM, that's like beating your head against the wall, they told me to call D.I.M. Have now come full circle on that loop.:?

As a last effort, went to my local speed shop (Holley dlr) with numbers in fist. The first guy I talked to couldn't find a reference for the list number(s) - asked me if I was sure it was a Holley, been there, done that :!:

The store manager overheard the conversation and asked me for the numbers again. He went to his own notes in their Holley parts catalog and found the 75009 number penned in in a blank area. He remembered that a local mechanic was in a few months ago looking for exactly that list number for two carbs he was reworking.

As it turns out, the speed shop guy somehow found out that the Holley renew kit, number: 703-29, was the one for that carb. Cost: $30, discounted from $45.

I've rebuilt a couple Holley carbs on both BB and SB Ford automotive engines and have never had this problem finding renew kits for them. :shock:

I now have it in my grubby paws and if I have to rebuild the carb, we'll find out if it's the correct kit.

Pardon the rant, but it's been a bad automotive week in the family, two elusive CELs and one blown head gasket. Hopefully, the $#!t is done hitting the fan. :?
    '98 200 Open
    - SeaMaxx 351 CID Ford, 260 HP, Holley Carb, FWC
    - N39 59', W75 18'
    - LBI, NJ; Upper Chesapeake Bay, MD

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they WILL make it illegal.

"We're not lost, Private -- We're in Normandy." : Maj. Richard Winters, Easy Company, US Army 101st Airborne. Normandy on D-Day

Disclaimer: Any suggestions made in these posts are just that, suggestions. To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?".

I am with you on the rant. I was able to stumble over a couple of NOS rebuild kits at our marine junkyard. I bought both of them plus a couple of power valves laying on the shelf.
    1988 20' Walk-Thru
    Annapolis, MD

Amen, brother. We just scrapped ours, stuck an Edelbrock on there, she runs like a scalded dog. They're just shiny, rebadged Carters.

Holley carbs are used on racing boats all the time around here all the time garveys and jersey speed skifs. they are tempermental as hell buty when they run right they are great, You have to talk to a speed shop for the right kit The power valve is the big thing if the float tanks get pitted it is shot then just buy a new one some have one valve some have two you have to learn how to put them away for the winter. these racing guys know.

I dragged up this post in a search for "rebuilt carbs". My 1992, 351 clogs up after 1/2 hour of trolling, I have to rev her in neutral to blow the soot out then we're fine for another pass. I'd like to re-build the holly carb. It sounds like finding a rebuild kit might be the toughest part of the job. What is involved in a rebuild? What tools will I need? Time involved etc.
    Thanks,
    Fishin\' Chips
    1992 22\' Predator 351
    Mill Creek

I don't know what would be involved, but have you guys considered switching to a throttle-body injection system? I can troll all day with no problems on loading up with soot and so far knock wood have had no fuel-related problems at all. Plus I average 2.5 nmpg in a 4000# boat (dry) plus 80-90 gal of fuel, 2 guys, ice, bait, etc., and this is a 310 hp 350. I'm not sure how much stuff you'd have to switch out but it might be worth investigating. I haven't had (or run) my boat that long, but I've heard good things about TBI, FWIW.

www.skidim.com carb kits
    1988 20 ft Open 351 PCM (Sold )
    1994 American Skier (sold)
    2000 Mako 282 (sold)
    1997 Shamrock 246 Open (sold)
    1988 SeaCraft 20 CC
    1992 Shoalwater (sold)
    1978 Mako 21

Quote Originally Posted by paragod3724
    www.skidim.com carb kits
    Ya gotta make sure that it's the proper kit for your carb list number. The kit my guy at the speed shop dug up for mine isn't the same as the one sold by Disc. Inb. Marine.

There have to be a bunch (dozens?) of renew kits for the various Holleys out there. Mine came with the secondaries diaphragm, some don't include it.
    '98 200 Open
    - SeaMaxx 351 CID Ford, 260 HP, Holley Carb, FWC
    - N39 59', W75 18'
    - LBI, NJ; Upper Chesapeake Bay, MD

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they WILL make it illegal.

"We're not lost, Private -- We're in Normandy." : Maj. Richard Winters, Easy Company, US Army 101st Airborne. Normandy on D-Day

Disclaimer: Any suggestions made in these posts are just that, suggestions. To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?".