Thread: Cracked gelcoat

Default Cracked gelcoat

I purchased my 1997 model Shamrock 20 WA back in October. I noticed that the outer transom portion has a vertical gelcoat crack (hairline) that runs down the middle from top to bottom. The interior of the transom appears to be fine and no leaks exist. I intend to grind it out this Spring and repair the gelcoat.

I have heard that this is a common trait. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Also does anyone know the shade of white gelcoat for that era. The Shamrock site calls it off white but it doesn't mention the years that shade covered.

The centerline crack appearing when the boat gets older is common. It is where the two hull halves were joined at the factory. They build the boat one half at a time, right and left. The two sides are then joined after thay are removed from the mold. It is the only way thay can fabricate the fiberglass skeg into the boat strongly.

The outside of the hull has that joint down the entire centerline. Take a look at the bottom of the keel on any of these boats that has been run aground a time or two and you will see the actual seam on the bottom and the different color adhesive they used to join them.

It is an easy fix to touch up the crack, but you may have to built it in with some mat to keep it from happening again.
    Tow, Tow, Tow your boat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Don View Post
    The centerline crack appearing when the boat gets older is common. It is where the two hull halves were joined at the factory. They build the boat one half at a time, right and left. The two sides are then joined after thay are removed from the mold. It is the only way thay can fabricate the fiberglass skeg into the boat strongly.

The outside of the hull has that joint down the entire centerline. Take a look at the bottom of the keel on any of these boats that has been run aground a time or two and you will see the actual seam on the bottom and the different color adhesive they used to join them.

It is an easy fix to touch up the crack, but you may have to built it in with some mat to keep it from happening again.
    Sounds like a control joint in concreat...
    Irish Jig - "Wishin' I was Fishin'"
    1993 26LE - Cummins 6BT 210HP/ZF63a 1.22

"Real men drive straight shafts." - Unknown

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Ben Franklin

"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other ten percent I'll probably waste." - Tug McGraw

Disclaimer: Any suggestions made in these posts are just that, suggestions.... learned from the School of Hard Knocks.... Class of 1961-present.

Inetmug control joints in concrete are grooves cut into the concrete after curing, or scored while still wet, so the concrete will (hopefully) crack along the joint. But the control joint is not concealed.
    C:\FILE CABINET\SHAMROCK\ftcsignature.jpg

Thank's, I intend to tackle it in the spring. As with other gelcoat issues, I typicallly fill it and shoot the gelcoat through a gun. I then wet sand and buff. My main concern is matching the color.

I have bright white which is too bright. Worst case I will purchase a lighter shade and add some bright white to it untill it appears to match.

SA - it will be a noble effort on your part.

But I assure you, the odds of the famous "Shamrock Crack" reappearing with a temperature change are great.

Lep
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. So it is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post

But I assure you, the odds of the famous "Shamrock Crack" reappearing with a temperature change are great.

Lep
    What he said.
    '89 26' cuddy, 351, GT40P, FWC, QUIK FIX II
    '75 20' open fisherman, 351, .030 over, GT40, FWC, QUIK FIX III
    16' Sandpiper, 40 Yamaha, Lil' Quik Fix
    14' Certified Fiberglass, 9.9 Zuke 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by spooled again View Post
    Thank's, I intend to tackle it in the spring. As with other gelcoat issues, I typicallly fill it and shoot the gelcoat through a gun. I then wet sand and buff. My main concern is matching the color.

I have bright white which is too bright. Worst case I will purchase a lighter shade and add some bright white to it untill it appears to match.
    I'm just went to the supply shop and bought some gel coat to do some repairs on my boat, a 2001 22WA. A tip I got off the internet to match the gel coat color is to get color samples from the paint dept at Home Depot and find the one that best matches your boat. Then go back to Home Depot and get them to print out the sticker that shows which color tints they add to the base white.
    For my boat a shade from Bear brand paint called NUDE was it. The tint colors they add are black, oxide yellow, and magenta (a marroonish shade). There were other paint shades that were, for all practical purposes, close enough and may have used tint colors that are more standard and easily found. I will give this a try tomorrow so I can't give you any results now. Good Luck
    Jim

Thanks Pescador, good luck with your repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post

Lep
    the crack will reappear promise,Tammy lets me know everytime I bend over!
    Keeless at the moment