Thread: 2000 Shamrock 290 Walkaround

Default 2000 Shamrock 290 Walkaround

BoatUS is auctioning off my fire and smoke damaged Shamrock 290. To read about the boat and see the surveyor's photos after the fire, go to www.usauctions.com and look for:

#8912: 2000 29' Shamrock 290 Walkaround

I will be glad to answer any inquiries. Let me add that I have no interest in the sale. I was paid for a contructive total loss and turned all of the documents over to BoatUS.

Old Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ed View Post
    BoatUS is auctioning off my fire and smoke damaged Shamrock 290. To read about the boat and see the surveyor's photos after the fire, go to www.usauctions.com and look for:

I will be glad to answer any inquiries. Let me add that I have no interest in the sale. I was paid for a contructive total loss and turned all of the documents over to BoatUS.

Old Ed
    If I did not have a 4X4 Chevy short bed to restore.....I want to do a project boat.....But I think I wiil start REAL SMALL Like the 16' O'Day I am waiting for the title
    Amber Leigh

2003 246 CC Gelding
    350-330 mpi cap's choice

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Latin for:When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

Disclaimer:I am not responsable for the accuracy made in these posts ..... IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ed View Post

Old Ed
    Old Ed,
    Sorry about your loss. I hope the insurance company settlement was agreeable to you.
    I already have two project boats at the shop, one a Shamrock, so any sane person would say I don't need another one, but no one ever accused me of being sane. I live just down the coast a few miles in San Leon. Does the boat float? Could it be towed a few miles down the bay? Do you think the engines suffered internal damage? How many hours on the engines? Did you post this story here in the forum when the fire occured? I searched but didn't find it.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default Fire Sale of 2000 Shamrock 290 Walkaround

Let me answer PescadorJM (Jim)'s questions. 1. The boat floats fine. There was no hull damage. 2. It could be towed any distance with proper equipment. 3. Were the engines damaged? My personal view is no and no one has suggested otherwise. They don't look damaged, only covered with soot. The fire was concentrated at the port engine exhaust hose. The engines were shut down when the port engine temp gauge showed about 220/240 degrees or thereabouts and the starboard engine gauge was at a normal 180 or less. My personal view is that the boat could be run as is on the starboard engine only, but neither engine has been touched since the fire. 4. The engines have a little over 500 hours on them. 5. Yes, I posted the initial fire damage incident under Mechanics Corner "Fire in Engine Compartment" back in September and asked for any advice available. The posting has a long string on it of comments. Let me know if you would like to have a look at the boat. It is located at the Houston Yacht Club marina up on slings in Slip 5, Pier 9.
    Old Ed

Old Ed,
    From what I could see in the photos it looks a lot better than I would expect from the description. Thanks for all the inside information and the offer to look at it. I'm in Brazil right now and won't return home until the 24th. So I'll have to buy without an inspection. I feel a lot better now having read your comments.
    Jim

Old Ed,

As you can imagine, the thought of a fire on a gas powered boat (like most of ours), is a horrible thought. The one time that I had an impeller go out, my overheat alarm went off, I noticed the temp climbing, and I shut the engine down, just in time, thank God. Just out of curiousity are there overheat alarms on those Yanmars, or on the 29 in general, or did it all happen too fast.

Sorry for the loss of your beautiful boat, glad nobody got hurt, and glad you're getting a new one!

Thanks.
    1999 246 Walkaround
    PCM SeaMax 350 TBI 315HP
    Velvet Drive 1.5:1

Default Fire Alarms

L.A.z Gator,

Yes, the 290 is equipped with engine overheat alarms. The alarm on the port engine sounded and we shut the engines down when the port temp gauge was at 220/240. That's why I'm reasonable certain there was no engine damage from the fire. Additionally, the Fireboy system deployed and that retarded the fire and helped smother it out. The Yanmars are diesels so we were not too worried about an explosion, though we moved up to the bow away from the engine compartment until we got taken off the boat.

Old Ed

Congradulations to the winning bidder for this boat. Final price $17,000. The engines alone are worth that. Good luck with the repairs. Hope you have it up and running soon.
    Jim