Thread: Yanmar 8LV????

Default Yanmar 8LV????

Hey All, Just got an email about this engine from yanmar. It is supposed to be a replacement for our gas V8's? Has anyone heard any info about this yet? I am putting in a call to see what gear options are available besides the sterndrive package. Here is the link-

http://www.yanmarmarine.com/theme/ya...K3047B_web.pdf
    Dave H.
    2000 - 220 Stalker
    PCM Sea Max 5.7 RWC TBI

Sounds awesome, but, I'm guessing I could repower 3-4 times with the top of the line Crusader 6.0 for the price of one of these babies!

I see that they say that it will hook up with a KMH50 inboard transmission, which looks to be a 2:1 reduction.
    1999 246 Walkaround
    PCM SeaMax 350 TBI 315HP
    Velvet Drive 1.5:1

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. z GATOR View Post
    Sounds awesome, but, I'm guessing I could repower 3-4 times with the top of the line Crusader 6.0 for the price of one of these babies!

I see that they say that it will hook up with a KMH50 inboard transmission, which looks to be a 2:1 reduction.
    I see no reason the engine itself couldn't adapt to most any drive. There's only a handfull of SAE bolt configurations. With the right bellhousing, it's a done deal.

For sure a diesel repower costs drasitcally much more. The resale however is improved rather drastically as well. Diesel boats (priced right) sell. Once that gasser has more than a few years on it, it's of not much real value over any other running gasser. The improved range/mpg and the increased inherent safety are enjoyed by both you and future owners.
    260 Mackinaw/Cummins