Default Torque spec for drain plugs?

I'm one of those guys who can't stop tightening. I just know I'm going to crack one of those transom drains by over tightening. If there was a torque spec, I'd know when to stop.
    2001 220 Cuddy (Stalker)
    5.7 (350) PCM FWC

I palm the ratchet, with the handle sticking through my fingers, that way i cant give it too much leverage. I thought i had invented "just one more turn". IF USING A WRENCH I CHOKE UP ON THE HANDLE.
    Last edited by Storm Lady; 09-28-2011 at 06:54 AM. Reason: CORRECTION
    OWNED 3 SHAMROCKS. 1976 20" CENTER CONSOLE, 1988 20' CUDDY CABIN, 1989 20' CONWALK. NOW 1990 22' PREDATOR ,2010 INDMAR 5.7 LITER VORTEC, 310 HP.ZF 45 C TRANSMISSION. 18'BIDDISON 130HP YAMAHA,19 Trophy,cc,125 saltwater series mercury. All my boats are named "Storm Lady"
    "Believe me,my Young friend,there is nothing___absolutely nothing______half so much Worth doing as simply messing about in boats." ( Wind in the willows)

Tell me more about the hoses. I can't picture it.
    2001 220 Cuddy (Stalker)
    5.7 (350) PCM FWC

QS...

Those are 1/2" NPT pipe plugs and really only need to be snugged about 1/8 turn beyond hard finger-tight - just enough to keep them from loosening. I usually put a gob of waterproof or synthetic grease on the threads before installing them to help with the seal and make removal a little easier.

I take mine out when she's on the trailer - essentially after retrieving at the ramp so that the bilge drains on acceleration during towing. I realize you are on a lift - just relating what I do.
    '98 200 Open
    - SeaMaxx 351 CID Ford, 260 HP, Holley Carb, FWC
    - N39 59', W75 18'
    - LBI, NJ; Upper Chesapeake Bay, MD

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they WILL make it illegal.

"We're not lost, Private -- We're in Normandy." : Maj. Richard Winters, Easy Company, US Army 101st Airborne. Normandy on D-Day

Disclaimer: Any suggestions made in these posts are just that, suggestions. To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?".

Thanks Kurt,

When mine's on the lift, if I raise the bow enough for the transom drains to actually drain anything, I'm afraid the boat will slide off! Even on the trailer, the bilge pump comes on way before the water level would reach the drains. The drains will at least keep the water level from reaching the engine. I really need to get off my dead @$$ and put in a garboard drain.
    2001 220 Cuddy (Stalker)
    5.7 (350) PCM FWC

Yeah, I hear ya. Unless she's under cover, I'd have to raise the trailer tongue about 18" to even come close to getting any water to drain out, once it gets into the bilge. Doing that helps to let it drain back on the deck and out the scuppers before it gets into the bilge. If leaves block the scuppers, then all bets are off.

Either a third garboard plug at the low spot or a GROCO pump like Lep has, with it's pickup at the low spot, are about the only way to go. With the low point garboard, you just have to remember to put it back in before you splash the boat.
    '98 200 Open
    - SeaMaxx 351 CID Ford, 260 HP, Holley Carb, FWC
    - N39 59', W75 18'
    - LBI, NJ; Upper Chesapeake Bay, MD

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they WILL make it illegal.

"We're not lost, Private -- We're in Normandy." : Maj. Richard Winters, Easy Company, US Army 101st Airborne. Normandy on D-Day

Disclaimer: Any suggestions made in these posts are just that, suggestions. To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?".

Speaking of drain plugs... Everyone should check their drain plugs and change them if they are older or stainless hardware. (I don't mean the bronze garboard drain, but the rubber stern plugs I have in my 20'.)

Just the other day, after a heavy few days of rain, I went to take a run on the boat and charge the batteries. I noticed there was quite a bit of water in the bilge and thought my batteries had been drained because the pumps had been working overtime, due to the rain. Not the case. They were definitely working overtime though, because the hardware of the drain plug had snapped in half. The rubber stayed in the drain hole, but the bolt mechanism was hanging by a thread and water pouring in. I'm guessing due to electrolysis since the plug metal is not grounded. The bolt/shaft, washer, and nut of the plug was stainless. I replaced it with a Moeller brass T-Twist plug.

It was a bit unnerving to have to pull the plug while underway in the harbor, amazing how fast a 1" hole can bring in water! Luckily I had a couple extra scupper plugs handy and the leak was plugged. Also, had my trusty wooden plug as a back up, something else everyone should have on board.

1986 20' Shamrock Open, T-top, PCM Ford 302 RWC
    "Schalck Attack"