Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat lift motor problem

One of the motors on my ace lift is not working. Standard worm drive twin motor and drum switches for each. Forward and reverse hums but motor wont start. I can spin the pulley to let boat down easy by hand so with motor humming I did that and the motor starts but never reaches full speed because it's like someone is flipping the power on and off every second or so. The motor is a real PITA to get to and worse than that are getting the wires down with the boat in the way. I took the cover off the back of the motor and wiggled all the connections. havent been in the drum switches yet but think because it hums for up and down that unlikely in the drum switch or connections in motor for that matter. The motors got wet (pretty sure they were submerged for an hour or so with some brackish water) during katrina along with the wires and switches but I think my dad, the engineer, replaced the switches and hes not here anymore to diagnose the motor problem so I'm reaching out to my extended family. I'm thinking if anyone here has got a line on good prices I should replace both motors and keep working old for spare.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bill

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. Ronald Reagan

1998 246 Adventurer (Walk Around Cuddy) with a RWC TBI THREEFITY

It sounds like the armature is damaged. Big repair sometimes.
    1982 20' Cuddy Cabin, 2012 Rebuilt PCM 351 .060 o.s.pistons, Gt-40 heads FWC 1/2sys Edelbrock carb

Old Coast Guard motto: YOU HAVE TO GO OUT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO COME BACK!
    That should be every boater's warning. Be safe out there!

Disclaimer: Any comments made in these posts are just suggestions.... learned from the School of Hard Knocks.... Class mascot: A Knucklehead

I was thinking a bad centrifigal switch and/or capacitor, if the motors have them.
    '09 Carolina Skiff 198 DLV, 115 Evinrude E-Tech
    '02 270 Mackinaw, 315 Yanmar - SOLD

IF YOU WANNA BE CHEAP, IT'S GONNA COST YA!

It could be any one of several issues. First off, the motors probably have 4 wires to them, two are the field, and they never change, power on or off, period. The other two are start winding. They reverse for up or down. Start winding is most likely in conjunction with a capacitor (so as to give it a phase shift, cause you are using single phase power) If the capacitor is out it wont start, (unless you can give a good spin) if the run winding gets power, but the start winding doesnt you will get a hum and no start (both act the same) you need both. If it were the centrificale switch (they almost never fail openbut fail to open) it would start and run but never accelerate to full speed (the start winding would hinder this if it didnt drop out) Does it work in say up but not down? If that is the case I can tell you it is the drum switch controlling the start winding, not the run winding.
    Do a test on the drum switch, it should put L1 (blk power ) and L2 (neautral) to the run winding in either up or down. The start wonding will reverse the current thru it for up to down,

its so much easier to show you than talk you thru it,
    2003 Shamrock 290 WA, twin 315 Yanmars.

If it was working properly and suddenly stopped its likely a problem with the motor. I have worked in the boat lift industry for many years and that has been my experience. The replacement motors aren't that expensive so people usually just replace them if they start acting up. Try aqua marine supply (hefty hoist) they might be cheaper than ace. Could be the motor is fine and you have a mechanical problem too. Make sure everything is greased and moving freely, especially if it has been submerged. I have seen those bearings freeze and do basically what you are describing.

Like I said, It COULD be one of several different issues. I would check the rotary switch first, the other thing is the wires from the switch to the motor usually are run in a plastic pipe under the water (salt water at that, right?) they often void, you may have to pull new wires.
    Bottom line is, if you dont have a clue as to how to trouble shoot it, you really should just call someone who does. It gets very expensive just guessing and plugging in new parts (that were ok all along!)

Thanks for all the help so far. Everthing is free and all greased up on the gears bearings in the lift. Probably use a cordless drill to easily drop the lift, might take something more substantial to raise it so I i need to get it fixed because once winter gets here I will put it on the trailer and do a few things lol. Got the motor down today and thanks to dads planning ahead I have a standard 120v duplex receptacle and several feet of pigtail coming out of the drum switch so it just plugs in and I can remove the whole shooting match (wires motor switch) and test tinker with it on the bench. All wires go overhead and the only problem is squirrels have gnawed on the port side wires but my starboard side is whats wrong. Thanks again for the help so far Bill
    Bill

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. Ronald Reagan

1998 246 Adventurer (Walk Around Cuddy) with a RWC TBI THREEFITY

Be sure to let us know what you find the problem is.