Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dull drill bits...

I’ve got 6 steel drill index boxes ( w/29 bits in each, I believe) and another 300 or so loose drill bits. I’ve gotten to the point that I have many dull bits; I used to sharpen them on the grinder by eye, that will get you by, only.
    I had heard good things about the “Drill Doctor” so I pulled it up and watched some video on the internet, and decided to try one out. I got the XP2 at Home Depot, two days latter and I have one hell of allot of perfectly sharpened drill bits! It is no toy, it really works remarkably well. I recommended it to those of you in need of a good way to sharpen your bits. The one I got only goes up to ½ inch, so that leaves me to “eyeball” all the larger bits, but its easier to sharpen the larger ones than the smaller ones,
    2003 Shamrock 290 WA, twin 315 Yanmars.

That's good to know as I still sharpen them by hand too. I had a bit sharpener about 30 years ago and it was such a PITA to use I threw it away. I'm glad they work now.
    '09 Carolina Skiff 198 DLV, 115 Evinrude E-Tech
    '02 270 Mackinaw, 315 Yanmar - SOLD

IF YOU WANNA BE CHEAP, IT'S GONNA COST YA!

funmack, I THINK I HAD THE SAME ONE YOU DID. I ALSO ENDED UP TRASHING IT.
    OWNED 3 SHAMROCKS. 1976 20" CENTER CONSOLE, 1988 20' CUDDY CABIN, 1989 20' CONWALK. NOW 1990 22' PREDATOR ,2010 INDMAR 5.7 LITER VORTEC, 310 HP.ZF 45 C TRANSMISSION. 18'BIDDISON 130HP YAMAHA,19 Trophy,cc,125 saltwater series mercury. All my boats are named "Storm Lady"
    "Believe me,my Young friend,there is nothing___absolutely nothing______half so much Worth doing as simply messing about in boats." ( Wind in the willows)

This thing really is nice, I had an old Craftsman unit that I mounted next to the side of a grinding wheel ( it used the side of the wheel to sharpen the bits) It was a big Pain to use. This unit is so fast and easy. You will be impressed. When done I blew it off with the air compressor, and it looks like new. I checked the diamond coated wheel figuring it had to be badly worn by now, and cant see of feel any wear.

Made in USA? ;-)
    260 Mackinaw/Cummins

Almost all of my drill bits are made in USA.

The sharpener is assembled in the USA, unfortunately with some, or all, imported parts.

Thanks Seatux for the tip, pun intended. For years if I see bits for sale at a garage sale, I buy them. Needless to say, I have a ton of worn out bits. How much do those units costs ?
    "Missy Renee"
    '91 Mackinaw
    2004 PCM 5.8HO Carb
    Priors '98 260 Open, '84 20 PH

I still have the one that's a pita! And I buy new small bits, up to 3/8". I still use the sharpener for the larger bits but it tops out at 9/16" so I eye up the rest. I use a drill press for most anything above 3/8 if I can because it extends their life considerably. I will be looking to HD this week too.
    1982 20' Cuddy Cabin, 2012 Rebuilt PCM 351 .060 o.s.pistons, Gt-40 heads FWC 1/2sys Edelbrock carb

Old Coast Guard motto: YOU HAVE TO GO OUT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO COME BACK!
    That should be every boater's warning. Be safe out there!

Disclaimer: Any comments made in these posts are just suggestions.... learned from the School of Hard Knocks.... Class mascot: A Knucklehead

Kutztown, PA S Seaville N.J. Sea Shore Line

Great Tool!!! I've been using one for about 3 years now. Never could get the eyeball sharping down. Needless to say I have alot of dull bits over 1/2" :-(

She's a work in progress 31 Grand Slam but I'm pumped about it just the same!!!:D Slow and steady wins the race!!!

They make the part to take larger bits, it works with the machine you have, it's just a larger chuck.