Default Ignition Breaker Tripping

Hello,

My ignition breaker on my dash keeps tripping after running at higher RPMs - 3000 or so. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what might be the cause.

1997 22' Walkaround with a 5.7 liter Sea Maxx

Thanks!

anderdog

How are your temps? Also - does it trip on a restart, and if so, how long after shutdown? Sounds like starter solenoid may be getting hot. Others will no doubt have experienced this issue and have some sage advice.
    Steve
    'sela-fish'
    1997 220 Stalker
    Crusader 5.7 TBI, VD1:1

You should check the wiring on the engine to see if one of the wires that is live when the ignition is on is shorting to the block. Could happen if vibration has rubbed through the insulation or it has become pinched and it grounds out under some conditions. Check near the electric choke, near the alternator, around the spark coil and, if equipped, near the electric fuel pump.

Also check to see if there are any problems, like disconnected quick-connects or other possible shorts between the ignition switch and the engine.

It is also possible that the breaker has fatigued over the years and is tripping at a current well below its rating. It should be a 20 Amp breaker.

If it trips only while running and not during starting, then I'd look for shorts.

Also, if you could put your engine/boat details in your signature, it would make it easier to respond with more useful info. A carbed engine is an entirely different animal from an EFI/TBI installation.
    '98 200 Open
    - SeaMaxx 351 CID Ford, 260 HP, Holley Carb, FWC
    - N39 59', W75 18'
    - LBI, NJ; Upper Chesapeake Bay, MD

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they WILL make it illegal.

"We're not lost, Private -- We're in Normandy." : Maj. Richard Winters, Easy Company, US Army 101st Airborne. Normandy on D-Day

Disclaimer: Any suggestions made in these posts are just that, suggestions. To quote Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the fool who follows him?".

I had almost the same issue and it turned out that from taking the dash in and out while installing electronics one of the wires must have got pulled on enough that it turned the screw to the ignition switch enough to loosen it so when the current was running through it the switch got hot and popped the breaker. The engine would shut down but reset and start right back up. It drove me crazy for about 2 weeks until I took it apart real time and felt the heat. 1/2 a turn on the screw and good from then on.
    Reel Happy - Joe
    1991 Cape Dory Volvo Diesels Freeport LI. NY.
    1999 260 Express 5.7 Seamax Freeport LI. NY.
    2001 172 Scout Merc KeyWest FL

thanks everyone for your responses! I will check them all this weekend when i'm back up on the island.

cheers,

anderdog
    anderdog,

1997 / 22' WA / 5.7 Sea Maxx