Default Mase Diesel Generator IS 2.5, Code E-87 No Voltage Output

My Mase IS 2.5 shuts down after 30 seconds and displays E-87. It's not putting out enough voltage. I do my own work. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Last edited by dreammaker; 12-02-2012 at 07:24 PM.

No. What's the code say it is?
    260 Mackinaw/Cummins

A while back another member had that problem and it was the capacitor. I since ordered one to keep on board and for some reason the got me 2 of them.
    '09 Carolina Skiff 198 DLV, 115 Evinrude E-Tech
    '02 270 Mackinaw, 315 Yanmar - SOLD

IF YOU WANNA BE CHEAP, IT'S GONNA COST YA!

The manual says the generator will shut down after 30 seconds if it doesn't send out 120 volts. It says the problem is probably in the alternator.

I could buy one from you. Is it hard to install?
    Last edited by dreammaker; 12-02-2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling

It doesn't look too hard to replace, although it looks tight on space and may be a little slow loosening the allen screw for the clamp. You should able to test it without actually changing it too. Just clip the wires on the new one and give it a whirl. You may be able to leave the new capacitor outside the cover or place it inside where it can't fall off in under the genny. If you want the extra one that I have send me a PM with your info and I'll ship it out tomorrow. You can try it to see if that's your problem and if you keep it I'll be happy with you covering the shipping cost.

Mase IS 2.5 capacitor part 20203.jpgMase IS 2.5 capacitor part20203.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FunMack View Post
    It doesn't look too hard to replace, although it looks tight on space and may be a little slow loosening the allen screw for the clamp. You should able to test it without actually changing it too. Just clip the wires on the new one and give it a whirl. You may be able to leave the new capacitor outside the cover or place it inside where it can't fall off in under the genny. If you want the extra one that I have send me a PM with your info and I'll ship it out tomorrow. You can try it to see if that's your problem and if you keep it I'll be happy with you covering the shipping cost.

Mase IS 2.5 capacitor part 20203.jpgMase IS 2.5 capacitor part20203.jpg
    Dreammaker, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is after I posted the capacitor pic I took a good look at it and i could see where it had been connected up to something. Being the boat is here at my house I took a look at the second spare and it looked the same. I decided to test them so I fired up the genny with each of them connected and neither one worked, E-87 error! Hooked it back up with the original capacitor and it put out 120 volts just fine. Now I know why they were so cheap, but my parts man still has some splainin to do!
    The good news is I found out before I shipped one off to you, and before I needed one.
    I don't think it should be too hard for you to find one locally.

I ordered a new capacitor (#31188) from Mase in Miami 954-327-0234. Nice people over there. They said it probably was the problem. Thanks to you guys for telling me it was the capacitor. I never would have thought of it by myself.