Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scungilli

Well why didn't you say it is conch? There ain't but one way: fritters. I have eaten my weight several times over in conch fritters. Mince it up up, mix it with whatever floats your boat to make a patty, a flour breading with a touch of cornstarch to make it stick and into hot oil. Then all you need is some Susie's or Melinda's mango hot sauce. Screw a bunch of sweating pasta and sauce for Italian. Deep fry those those bad boys down south style, douse 'em in a sweet yellow hot sauce and you are done.

scungilli-1-5.jpgA quick saute in garlic butter, tossed in Angel Hair pasta with fresh grated Romano cheese, to die for...go for it.

Reel Fantasy Too
    Rye, NH
    1989 31' Grand Slam
    Cummins 6BTA, 315hp
    Iron Ox Punta Gorda, Fl
    34 Mehaffey Steel Shrimp trawler, Cat 3304 85HP, Twin Disc Gear 2.96:1 spinning a 28X26 wheel

Reel Fantasy 1999 220 Open, 350 (sold)
    Reel Ecstasy
    1987 26' "Stalker" 351(sold)

Cook in a pressure cooker till tender,then slice and quick saute i n oil and garlic,then add the tomato sauce and cook for about 1 min. and then add tp pasta sauce...If you can not get it tender they sell it in a can,already tender just rinse and eat,the brand name is Lamonica scungilli..

Or you can try bringing a pot of water to a boil.add salt,then add the scung,wait for it to come back to a boil,then cook for 15 minutes,turn the flame off,put a cover on it and let it sit in the hot water for 20 min..that should be nice and tender..AL

Conch is the new cash crop in our bays. I suspect a lot of it goes south to Florida. Try this link it goes into detail about cooking preparation etc. My favorite is Conch Salad closely followed by conch Chowder.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...com/scungilli/
    OWNED 3 SHAMROCKS. 1976 20" CENTER CONSOLE, 1988 20' CUDDY CABIN, 1989 20' CONWALK. NOW 1990 22' PREDATOR ,2010 INDMAR 5.7 LITER VORTEC, 310 HP.ZF 45 C TRANSMISSION. 18'BIDDISON 130HP YAMAHA,19 Trophy,cc,125 saltwater series mercury. All my boats are named "Storm Lady"
    "Believe me,my Young friend,there is nothing___absolutely nothing______half so much Worth doing as simply messing about in boats." ( Wind in the willows)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche

I thought it was a sponge! Conch goes really good this way, too.
    1996 200 WA
    5.7 Indmar TBI
    275 HP FWC full system
    Hurth

Preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America so help me God

Google Conch Salad ...... I am with GD on the fritters but Salad cooked buy acidic lime juice COLD .... Ceviche style .... Man that's the ticket right there
    Amber Leigh

2003 246 CC Gelding
    350-330 mpi cap's choice

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt. It's Latin

Disclaimer:I am not responsable for the accuracy made in these posts ..... IANAL

I'm so embarrassed. I thought you were trying to fancy up some road kill you found in front of the shop. I have never had conch but these recipes sure sound good. What did you end up doing with it?
    1980 20' Pilot House
    351W Ford

They are still in the holding box. These are a little different than conch. Don't know if they would make good fritters. Going to cook them as soon as I get some time.
    Thanks for all the info.
    '89 26' cuddy, 351, GT40P, FWC, QUIK FIX II
    '75 20' open fisherman, 351, .030 over, GT40, FWC, QUIK FIX III
    16' Sandpiper, 40 Yamaha, Lil' Quik Fix
    14' Certified Fiberglass, 9.9 Zuke 4 stroke

If Jerry got them locally, they are not conch. There is no conch in North Carolina. They are Welk. Same family as conch, but different species - smaller and reverse rotation of the spiral (I think). They can, however, (from what I've read) be prepared the same way as conch. I tried to cook them once a year or two ago with no success......(they smelled so bad when cooking that I couldn't bring myself to put any in my mouth).........Hope Jerry can show us how.............
    1987 26' HT project 350 Chebby 4bl Holley Full FWC
    1988 20' Predator 302 PC (Sold to Sassy)
    1984 27' Tiara I/O twin265Volvo(SOLD)
    1964 33ft Allglass (SOLD)