Thread: Tautog Recipes?

Default Tautog Recipes?

Well, took the shakedown cruise today, went about 10 miles outside Wachapreague inlet, Va., to a wreck area, anchored over where the F&G guys had dumped 50 NYC subway train cars in 2 rows about 2 yrs ago and caught about 8 spiny dogfish to 4' (which Petersen's says is about max) and a 10-lb tautog which fought much harder. My first decent tog. :lol:

A good first-SW-fishing-trip for the year. :D The 219 Open handled nice in 3-5' not-steep seas (somehow we stayed dry!?!) and I wish you all have similar first-fishing-trip and shakedown-cruise luck this year.

Question: How do you cook these tautog? Lep? You guys up there catch lotsa blacks, right? I hear they're great eating, how do you cook them?

Thanks for any suggestions, all.

C

CC - go here and scroll all the way down to "Mrs. Leprechaun's baked Blackfish."

http://www.noreast.com/recipies/list.cfm

Besides fried with a Japanese Panko Flake Coating, this is my favorite way of cooking tautog.

Be mindful of my other recipes over there - pretty darn good, if I say so myself.

rgds, Leprechaun
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. So it is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Besides fried with a Japanese Panko Flake Coating, this is my favorite way of cooking tautog.
    That Panko stuff kicks butt big time!! I roll my beer batter dipped rock cod strips in the Panko and deep fry them in canola/peanut oil. I'm not sure if tautog is anything like cod, but if you want a killer fish taco recipe, let me know...
    1990 Shamrock Mackinaw
    Indmar HO 351W

Thanks for the replies, guys. Lep, that recipe sounds good, I think we'll have to give it a shot. I like baking tasty fish with veggies -- keeps all the flavor and juices in, just cook until the flesh is warm or the fish stops flopping, whichever comes first. Red drum is great that way. Sticks to yer teeth.

What's this Japanese panko stuff you guys talk about? Sounds like it might be a way to cook croakers outside in the roofing-tar vat...

Damon, if you have a fish taco recipe you can cut-and-paste here without too much trouble, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
    CC

Everybody like HOT weather? We've been hoping and hoping for it to get out of the 50s here for what seems like months, and now today they're calling for 88. What ever happened to SPRING?

Panko Flakes - click here:

http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/So...221+1082403101

Cheap and delicious.

rgds, Leprechaun
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. So it is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.

Fish Tacos

THE BATTER
    1.5 cups flour
    1.5 Tsp baking powder
    1/2 Tsp baking soda
    1 Tsp salt
    1/2 Tsp black pepper
    2 eggs
    Between 1 and 1.5 cups of beer to desired thickness

THE FISH
    Strips of fish (about 1 inch thick by 4 inches long).

THE REAL SECRET:
    Dip fish in the batter (NOT TOO THICK) and then coat with "Panko" Japanese breadcrumbs. NO substitutes here! Available in the Oriental food section at most grocery stores or at any Asian market.

Heat peanut oil to around 375 degrees and deep-fry the pieces until they turn golden brown.

White Sauce

1/2 cup of Mayonnaise
    1/2 cup of plain yogurt
    1/4 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper (or 1/2 Tsp for extra spicy flavor)
    1 squeezed Lime

Mix the ingredients well...

To serve

Heat up the corn tortillas and lay a bed of thinly shredded white cabbage, the fish, and top it with the white sauce. If you like, you can sprinkle on some hot sauce as well. This meal goes real well with a beer.
    1990 Shamrock Mackinaw
    Indmar HO 351W

Thanks, Damon, that recipe sounds awesome! That sauce should really help, especially with something that might dry out like tuna or shark.

Lep, Mrs Lep's recipe looks really good - and we might try it with some rockfish - but I'm starting to wonder if the best way to eat tog is just saute it in butter until it turns white and squeeze lemon over it. Like lobster, it's almost too good by itself to muck with by making sauces or adding spices.

All I know is, we need to catch MORE of them...

Thanks again-

CC

We have used that recipe with Bass (Rockfish), Tog and Cod - all came terrific.

I agree - broiled tog is also very good - but I really think fish like tog and flounder taste best fried with those Panko flakes and a bit of flour, but that's not exactly the healthiest way to go.

For a heathy and really delish cooking method I do not think I've ever had a better fish dish than that baked Tog/veggie dish over on the Noreast site. That my wife dreamed it up makes it even better.

Also - If you've never tried a dish of Linguini w/red sauce with Tog fillet in it, you have not experienced all there is in life. As good (IMO) as any crab or lobster sauce and my 13-yr old son's personal favorite.

Use my crab sauce recipe (Stored here in the archives or over on Noreast) and instead of using blue-claws, substitute about 6-8 decent-sized tog fillets. Put them in the sauce about 45 minutes before the sauce is "Finished" and they will cook and break up into bit-sized pieces.

Plenty of hot red pepper sprinkled on top of your dish, some crusty garlic bread and a glass of chianti or a decent-quality beer and you have about the best dish of pasta you will ever try.

Man, I not only do I have to help with mechanicals and equipment recommendations, but now I'm giving away all my secrets to my ever-expanding waistline too . . .

rgds, Leprechaun