87 Shamrock 26 HT

Discussion in 'Mechanic's Corner' started by JGainey, Jan 5, 2018.

1. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member Supporting Captain

Oct 25, 2012
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    As said above, if purchasing a 80's shamrock, just go ahead and assume you should be replacing them and go ahead and put new fuel lines and fill hoses at the same time. By the way, I have the same boat - 87 26 HT. If you have any specific questions feel free to reach out.

2. JGainey

JGainey Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Kraft, thanks for the reply. I see your in Perry hall md. I'm located at the top of the bay in Havre de Grace. What engine do you have in your HT and what's your cruise and wot speed?

3. jkraft

Oct 25, 2012
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    J- she has a 2003 350 mercy Mag Horizon with 650 hours running a 4 blade acme prop. Cruise is 20 mph and wide open is 31mph at 4750 rpm. My pilot house runs a 351 and is a little slower.

4. JGainey

JGainey Member

Dec 24, 2017
    JKraft, did you ever have a 3 blade prop on her? The one im looking at has a 3 blade. Didn't know how much that would vary

jkraft likes this.
  5. ibfishing

ibfishing Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2006
    San Diego
    I don’t have a HT but a 85’ Cuddy...I had both a three blade and a four blade on my rig. Where the four blade shines is going up and downs swells. The boat stays at more of a constant speed up and down swell.

6. lwarden

lwarden Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    San Diego
    I agree with ibfishing, the boat with a 4 bladed prop has better sea keeping ability. I suspect a CNC ACME 3 blade is likely close in that regard, but the CNC 4 blade is significantly better than a cast 3 blade in all aspects.

7. jkraft

Oct 25, 2012
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    J, I have run her with both and the numbers aren’t too far off from one another. As mentioned below, she does handle better, she uses a little less fuel, she is smooth as silk, and the hole shot is like a ski boat.