bracket for steering cable

Discussion in 'Archived Messages' started by Anonymous, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    maijen
    1. bracket for steering cable

Found my 26' stalker slow to answer the helm!!! Taking up the deck plate indicates the bracket that fastened the cable to the bulkhead had rusted and broken. This bracket is at the aft end of the cable. Mechanical steering , boat is a 1991 model. Does anyone have any idea where this bracket can be purchased? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Date: 06:26 on 08-10-2001

Hawkeye
    normal member in standard member. 2. Re:bracket for steering cable

Is this the ball and socket type pivot bracket? If so, which part of the bracket is broken, i.e. ball welded to flat mounting plate or socket shell?
    Date: 08:11 on 08-10-2001

maijen
    3. Re:Re:bracket for steering cable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hawkeye (08-10-2001 08:11):
    Is this the ball and socket type pivot bracket? If so, which part of the bracket is broken, i.e. ball welded to flat mounting plate or socket shell?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like you have described exactly the part. I hav welded the old ball to a flat mounting plate fabricated out uf steel. It seems to work fine but I think hydraulic steering would be a big improvement. Thanks for your timely help!
    Date: 17:18 on 08-13-2001

Hawkeye
    normal member in standard member. 4. Re:bracket for steering cable

Before going to the time/expense of hydraulic steering, suggest you check a few things first. The wheel is mounted to the underside of the helm station with a spring loaded fitting, i.e. tighten the nut, it tightens the spring tension. Possibly too tight. Turn the wheel so that the steering cable attached to the steering arm is fully extended; apply a light coat of wheel bearing grease to the cable and then turn the wheel back and forth to carry the grease inside the cable sheathing (may need to re-grease the exposed portion of the cable a couple of times). Disconnect the steering cable from the steering arm; turn the rudder back and forth manually with the steering arm; if the rudder does not operate freely, there may be too much pressure on the rudder packing nut. If so reduce the pressure until the rudder turns freely; if the packing nut leaks, replace the seal. My '91 steering is so responsive that it is like flying a helicopter; all I have to do is think about turning and she turns! Now I have a 20 f
    Date: 08:11 on 08-14-2001

Rich
    5. Re:bracket for steering cable

I BROKE MINE BECAUSE MY RUDDER WAS TO STIFF .I TOOK THE WHOLE THING APART CLEANED AND POLISHED IT.I FIXED IT BY DRILLING THROUGH THE PLATE . DRILLING AND TAPPING THE BALL AND HOLDING IT TOGETHER WITH A S.S. BOLT OR SCREW-BOLT.I THINK ITS WAS A1/4".OR JUST HAVE IT WELDED ON.GOOD LUCK
    Date: 12:11 on 08-26-2001

Scrapper
    normal member in standard member. 6. Re:bracket for steering cable

I think I have the exact same problem on my 20' CC. Can anyone tell me where to go to get a replacement? Or is fabricating a new part the only answer?
    Thanks,
    Scrapper

Date: 11:35 on 08-30-2001

Hawkeye
    7. Re:Re:bracket for steering cable

Scrapper (08-30-2001 11:35):
    I think I have the exact same problem on my 20' CC. Can anyone tell me where to go to get a replacement? Or is fabricating a new part the only answer?
    Thanks,
    Scrapper

For replacement try Beaufort Boat House, 247 Robert Smalls Parkway, Beaufort, South Carolina, 29903 (I do not have the phone number). These folks are great to work with; if they can get your part, they will. If you cannot get the part, fabrication is sometimes easier than searching h-'s half acre for it.

Date: 13:46 on 08-30-2001

2. joseatulla

joseatulla New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    rack and pinion steering cable mechanism

Has anyone found out if there is an exact replacement part for the rack and pinion supplied with 1976 and 1988 20 footer cuddy cabin Shamrock boats.

Manufacturer is of no help, indicates it has thrown away all drawings and specs on these boats.

joseatulla
    jat@microjuris.com

3. ClubAdmin

ClubAdmin Administrator Staff Member Supporting Captain

Sep 8, 2014
    testing.......................