How High Do You Have to Raise the Trailer for the Drains to Really Drain?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by quickstep192, Jan 10, 2018.

1. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I’ve thought about it many times. My hull is a ton of thick in the place where the water pools, so I’ve been reluctant to start a hole without being sure I could get a long enough fitting.

2. rhodescr

rhodescr Active Member

May 15, 2016
    Augusta Georgia
    Three aluminum car rims (the middle one a different size so they will stack without being wobbly) and the tongue jack extended as high as it will go works on my 26'. I have a farm tractor with a forklift attachment that I torched a hole in a fork for a hitch ball. Use it to move the boat around and to pick it up high enough to drain.

Randy

3. Ship

Ship Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Atlantic City, NJ area
    First, when I said in my previous post that the drain worked great when opened under way, I was referring to the stern drain that doesn't seem to drain when at rest.. Second, don't worry about the depth of glass where you install the garboard drain. It's fiberglass and if you epoxy or paint the area it won't effect anything. The glass won't rot like wood. You can install the drain on the inside or outside of the hull. I installed mine inside and if I were to do it again, I'd go to the outside and get a socket type plug instead of the external 1/2" lug. Position 1 is the external and 5 is the internal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ?Who da Ville?

?Who da Ville? Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Idaville, OR
    The previous owner of my Shamrock installed an after-market bilge pump in the bow…lowest point of the boat when on the trailer. To drain the bilge when the boat is on the trailer, all I have to do is flip the bow bilge switch.

5. quickstep192

quickstep192 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I've got a pump up there too, but the water in my bilge is currently frozen, so I was trying to figure out how to get it to drain when it finally melts.