Picking up 260 Express next week

Discussion in 'Website News & Announcements' started by Florida Joe, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Member

Aug 3, 2016
    So I'm going to pick up a 2000 260 Express I've purchased this week. Waiting for all the title paperwork to go through. It has the PCM 5.7 TBI with under 160 hours on it. Had a survey and sea trial done, during the sea trial the hose blew off the raw water pump ( loose clamp ). The thermometer shown 240 before it was shut down and anchored (I was present during sea trial but not operating the boat). I reattached the hose and we waited for a passing boat to pull us in. We got a tow back to the dock and the surveyor continued to check out other items (30 minutes). We went to lunch and returned to try to restart the boat, it still wouldn't start (thermometer @140). Had a local mechanic check it and said all was good. My question here is after about 2+ hours of shutting it down it wouldn't restart. But when the mechanic checked it 4 days later, no problem starting. Any ideals on why that is? is there a hi-temp safety that had to reset after cooling completely off.

2. lwarden

lwarden Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    San Diego
    First off, welcome to the site. This post is is the wrong section, but did you get a warning buzzer when it shut down? Is the boat fresh water cooled or raw water cooled? It should have restarted after 2 hours, but the gauge that measures temp on the dash is different from the ECM temp sensor so that one may have been running higher and preventing a restart. I had an impeller go out last time I was out and it restarted after 15 minutes or so.
    I have the same boat by the way, good luck with it, I really enjoy mine. There are several owners of the Express 260 on the site now so you should be able to get any questions answered as they come up.

3. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks for your help, I hope to have the paperwork finalized by the end of next week and taking possession of the boat by the weekend. I'll be putting on the trailer and transporting it from Pensacola back to Jacksonville at that point. While in Pensacola, I am of going to want to take it out for a nice ride.
    Once I get home I'll go through the cooling system and other parts just to make sure everything's good.

4. cw.abeljr

cw.abeljr Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Pasadena, Md
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.... Suggestion, when posting a problem such as you posted, give a little more info and you might get more responses. You said it wouldn't restart. Does that mean that it wouldn't even crank over or does that mean that it cranked but it did not start. Little things like this are two separate starting problems and the solutions as completely different...... sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a wise guy, just trying to point out we need more info. Also, I suggest that once you take ownership of the boat, put the specifics in your signature block as I have in mine. It helps other members to know what type of engine, trans and prop you are running to help with the suggestions.......again, welcome to the forum.