Southern California Grill N Fish 2017

Discussion in 'Events & Get-Togethers' started by lwarden, Aug 18, 2017.

1. lwarden

lwarden Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    San Diego
    Glad to see you are still around Will. Pics of the new boat?

2. joel@vomhoko.com

joel@vomhoko.com Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Any of you guys bug diving off the Catalina's? It's been far too long since I've done that, but this year's installment (really my wife's), a big bug each year from my buddy, made me realize I need to do this again next year. So planning to book next year...typical 2 day trip from SB. Would be fun to hook up if schedules align! 20171006_194231.jpg

3. willyok

willyok Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2014
    San Diego
    @lwarden , Heres a couple pictures when I first picked her up. She was kind of a basket case with one engine taken apart for exhaust elbow replacement. I took a serious gamble by getting the engine running then making an offer without a sea trial.

I ended up catching up on years of maintenance by removing the oil coolers, after coolers, heat exchangers, and tranny coolers from both engines and having them cleaned and pressure tested. I re sealed both turbos, replaced both mixing elbows with stainless versions from HDI, changed impellers, oil changes, valve adjustments and of course new zincs and coolant.

I ran her for the summer with some pretty great fishing and lots of great times. I just recently finished my electronics upgrade with Simrad 12'' up top, radar, autopilot, and a 9" display in the salon.

Attached Files:

fisherlady2 likes this.
  4. fisherlady2

fisherlady2 Well-Known Member

That is an impressive boat, I love the layout! I love our 26 Shamrock but would look at that boat in a second if I needed to run a bigger one. Most I see in that size range tend to cater to cabin comforts at the expense of fishability, yours looks like a great balance with the usable walk around space.

5. lwarden

lwarden Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    San Diego
    Looks cool Will, thanks for sharing.

Joel, I haven't gone diving for bugs but a friend is bugging me to go hooping for them. Seems the season down here isn't as good as last year. Please do let us know when you go to Catalina, I've been trying to get a group of boats together to meet over there for the past couple years.

6. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I'd be up for this! I'll have the boat back in the water by March.

7. jcarvour

jcarvour Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Tustin CA
    DSCN2938.JPG DSCN2939.JPG We did pretty good last time hoop netting

joel@vomhoko.com likes this.
  8. n7wnn

n7wnn Member

May 16, 2015
    I was down there and didn't take the time, now I wish I had